Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Milestone No.3: testing CEGUI in crystal space

Now that I understand how a "hello world" CS application works, it's time to try something slightly harder. Since I chose CS for its integration of Crazy Eddie's GUI (CEGUI), I think it's probably a good idea to make sure that it actually works.

There is a CEGUI testing script distributed with CS contains some code related to CEGUI. I ran this script and it worked exactly the way I wanted -- great!!

Basically, the GUI actually runs on-top-of the graphics. What this means is that it always stays in front of the graphics and is always visible, just like the following picture:




The CEGUI is also event driven, but its event handling functions are separate from CS's event queue -- very nice!

Finally, like most other advanced GUI systems, you can actually define a resource file for the GUI and just load it to your code during the init phase of your application, so there is no need for the tedious process of manually coding the layout of the GUI, yeah!

So, I guess that's it, another milestone achieved. Of course, I'm going to have to lay how to edit the GUI layout of CEGUI, but that would be a milestone in the future.

No comments: